Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Moms Tamales Tamale Challenge


Very Recently I took on the restaurant Moms Tamales eating challenge. The owner of the restaurant who is a good friend of mine is trying to get an eating challenge started. I asked him if I could take on it for him to see how it tested out.

The rules: eat a dozen tamales (of your choice) a half pound of rice, a half pound of beans, and a 32 oz drink of your choice. All within an hour.



How I did: At the start of the challenge I came out full throttle. Eating  6 Tamales and the rice and beans all in about 25 minutes. Right when the clock hit around the 27 minute mark I hit the dreaded WALL. I began to slow down my stomach was feeling extremely full and I felt really tired.

Once the clock hit around 45 minutes I managed to eat 3 more tamales, leaving only 3 and about half of the drink on the table. I began to work my way through 10th tamale, but immediately I was grossed out. I kept chewing and it took me 3 minutes to take just 2 bites from the tamale. I knew I had lost major time and began questioning myself on whether I would finish the challenge or not. I took a 2 minute break leaving me only 10 minutes to eat 3 tamales.

I sat back down and took a bite, my mouth felt gross. After eating so many tamales the inside of my mouth began to line with grease and oil it was hard to swallow without feeling the urge to throw up. I knew it was over. I had just about 6 minutes left but I threw in the towel.



This challenge is not for the weary or small of appetite. The tamales at this place are ridiculously delicious. So much so that they have been featured on the show Diners Drive Ins And Dives with host Guy Fiery. Here's the youtube video of their segment on the show.




No comments:

Post a Comment